Order of Service
1st service; Youth 7:45 – 9:15 am 2nd service: English 9:30 – 11:15 a.m. 3rd Kikuyu service 11:30 – 1:00 p.m.
In early 1950’s members of the Presbyterian Church came to Thika town as workers. They were names like Mr. Erastus Mbugua Kinyanjui from Thogoto who was a church elder, Mr. Njau Wambura from Kambui, Mr. David Kiarie Karanja from Naaro and Mr. Nahashon Kiai Mungai from Tumutumu.
The Right Dr. Rev. John Gatu past Moderator negotiated a donation from Scotland of Kshs, 30,000. The money was available but there was no land. At that time a missionary Rose got all Christians in Thika and the church Bible Fellowship was build in 1954. After two years the Presbyterians felt they could not fit and they moved to present Thika High school dinning Hall which by then was a Teacher Training College whose Principal was Rev. Ruak. In the year 1957/1958, the college became a secondary school under Mr. Wright who asked the congregation to look elsewhere to hold their prayers. Mr. Kago who was the Education Officer came to the rescue and allocated a classroom at Thika Primary school. Thika that time was under Kihumbuini and the first full time minister was Retired Rev. Ishmael Wango in 1959 who stayed for a short period. A theological student was then sent. Thika and during high time the present plot was allocated to PCEA. Rev. Rebman Wambaa Waiyaki was licensed and ordained at the present Elijah Kagiri grounds on the left as you enter the compound where is a tree and bricks that form a circle. At that time not a single building stood at the compound not even the church. A lot of progress occurred during his tenure i.e. 1965 1970 as the Christians put up the present Elijah Kagiri church building and the ministers’ manse.
The present P.C.E.A Elijah Kagiri church was built between 1965 and 1970 during the time Rev. Rebman Wambaa Waiyaki. Who had been licensed and ordained at the church grounds. Previously the congregation which comprised mainly of members of the Presbyterian Church who had come to Thika Town as workers was fellowshipping at Thika primary school. This had been allocated to them by a Mr. Kago who was an education officer. With continous steady growth the Elijah Kagiri church started several other congregations in Munyu Nendeni area, current Makongeni Parish and now Thika West Parish.
It is situated 5 km from Thika town along Thika-Muranga-Kandara junction road. It is located in KARl Thika land. It was started in December 1981 with only a few members. By then they used to worship in a classroom in nearby school. They were then given land in by the Ministry of Agriculture to build a church hall. The construction work went on well. The church construction took 7 years to complete.
In 1989 Mrs. Grace Wanjiku Hinga started praying with members of her family in their home. They then requested for a classroom at PK. primary school. From the school they moved to PCEA Kihiu Mwiri together with other members whose chairlady was Mrs. Pens Wanjiru Kinyanjui and Parish Minister then was the late Rev. Dr. Ngoima. With the help of deacons, David Njuguna and Evans Gachucha the members of Methi bought a plot at Methi on 2 February 1999 and the plot was purchased at Kshs. 80,000 and dedicated on 23d May 1999. In a week’s time Mr. Mwaura Kogi came and took measurements of the church building whose foundation was done by the Parish youth. Supervision of the construction was done by Mrs. Mary Njoki Ndung’u the treasurer and Mrs. Grace Hinga and Mr. Mwaura Kogi. The roofing materials were donated by a member; plastering, flooring and the painting were all done by the members. The foundation stone was laid by Rev. Francis Ndung’u on 4th November 2004. The first chairman was Elder Gerald Mburu, followed by Elder David Hunja, followed by Elder Newton Mukora and then Elder Moses Wanderi and currently Elder Rufus Kamami. The first deacons were Grace Wanjiku Hinga and Mrs. Mary Njoki Ndung’u. The current L.C.C. is composed of Mr. Rufus Kamami the chairman, Mary Wamuyu the secretary, Teresia Waithera the treasurer while the deacons are Mary Muthoni, Grace W. Hinga, and Elizabeth Murugi. Methi congregation has eighteen full members, seventeen adherents and twenty one children boys and girls brigade.
To the glory of God, the Thika Township Church foundation stone was laid on 12th June 2011 by Reverend Stephen Wainaina Njoroge. Construction is ongoing.